[78-L] Bunny Berigan or not?

Scott scott at mosaicrecords.com.invalid
Wed Mar 24 11:44:13 PDT 2021

My right hand man when producing the Berigan set on Mosaic was Bozy White, the preeminent scholar and discographer of Berigan. He felt it was Bunny on this side and so did another Berigan aficionado, Richard Sudhalter, who wrote the notes.

"That so few of these performances have found their way into reissue comes as no surprise. Intended as ephemera, they were not widely promoted, and seldom strike the ear as particularly memorable. Even Berigan, soloing frequently, works creatively within a relatively narrow set of conventions: he steers close to the melody (as in "When I Take My Sugar To Tea"), and employs mutes - straight, cup, metal Harmon, or the sliding cup-straight combination named the ShaStock, after its manufacturer. The object, after all, is to fit into an overall context defined by the perceived tastes of record buyers."

Scott Wenzel
Mosaic Records
203-327-7111
www.mosaicrecords.com