[78-L] Bunny Berigan or not?

Taylor Bowie bowiebks at isomedia.com.invalid
Tue Mar 23 10:29:52 PDT 2021

I think it is Berigan...although his execution is "off."  But there are familiar  little BB nuances,  and the way he ends his solo at 0:54 really gives it away.

More curious to me is the Rust notation of Walter Gross as the pianist. As far as I know,  Gross was still full-time with Rudy Vallee in early 1931,  as one of two pianists along with Cliff Burwell.  I haven't heard enough of Gross's solo playing to ID it,  but the piano solo sounds more like one of the usual Rich crew...maybe Signorelli?

Vallee did hire lots of free lance players in this era for records,  radio,  etc.  but the guys on his regular payroll didn't seem to do many outside gigs.   Somewhere I have some cancelled Vallee checks to Charlie Butterfield and some other notable studio guys of the time.

Whatever the story...a damn good record!

Taylor