[78-L] Salvation Army Transcriptions wanted...

Graham Newton gn at audio-restoration.com.invalid
Fri May 29 17:49:43 PDT 2020

Hello Everyone, and all ships at sea!

I hope you are all well in this trying time.

I'm working on a fascinating large project for the Salvation Army Archives here
in Toronto on the "THIS IS MY STORY" radio program.  It was a 1/2 hour show
with music, chorus and about a 12 minute dramatized portion in the middle
starting at about 8:00 minutes in.  The whole Salvation Army Band sound is very
British and very similar to the sound of music from the Chappell Recorded Music
library.

I did a sample restoration of two of the shows, one can be found here if you
would like to hear it.  This project will probably keep me well occupied for a
year... there are over 300 shows to be done.

Sample show "Earl "Buster" Ellis (program #3)
http://www.audio-restoration.com/THIS_IS_MY_STORY-EARL_BUSTER_ELLIS.mp3

  From information I presently have this show was originally produced beginning
in 1949 and was probably done in a studio in Toronto Canada.  The show was
distributed on 16" transcription discs in both Canada and USA and I believe the
USA version was a sub-set of the Canadian produced show because the show
numbers of the Canadian and US shows do not match.

Sample Canadian transciption label
http://www.audio-restoration.com/THIS_IS_MY_STORY-CAN_Label.JPG

Sample USA transcription label
http://www.audio-restoration.com/THIS_IS_MY_STORY-US_Label.JPG

The archives is presently taking a detailed inventory of this part of their
collection to determine how complete their holdings are and what holes may
exist.  Also the condition of the discs and whether better copies may be needed.

We are thus actively looking for any collectors who may have some of these
discs who would either sell them to the Salvation Army Archives or loan them to
us to copy digitize and restore.  The end purpose is to post the entire
restored series of shows to their web site and/or to offer the shows for
broadcast as a co-operative historical program as the original run of shows was.

Your comments and any assistance to locate this material would be greatly
appreciated, but please respond off list.

Thank you all...

... Graham Newton

--
World class professional services applied to tape or phonograph records for
consumers and re-releases, featuring CEDAR's CAMBRIDGE processes.