[78-L] Columbia Hall of Fame Series - Frankie Laine - 10 inch - 50006

Mark Bardenwerper citrogsa at charter.net.invalid
Mon Jul 29 21:26:37 PDT 2019

On 7/29/2019 11:13 PM, DKing wrote:
> I was going to respond to each one of you separately, but I’m still learning
> what this format allows in terms of special characters, responding to one
> person’s message so it’s seen by the larger list, use of proper terms, etc.
>
> So my hope is that this summary thanks to all of you is OK for now.
> I really appreciate all of your responses.
>
> Thanks to all who waded through the jumble of messages I caused
> here about:  Frankie Laine - Columbia Hall of Fame Series - 50006
> - 10 inch - for USA - Jezebel / Jealousy (Jalousie) - [ probably 1954 ]
>
> A few of you pointed out that this is a 78 rpm shellac record.
>
> You also pointed out there were 7-inch 45s issued for this, with a catalog
> number of 4-50006.
>
> And I got a music reference book recommendation, many thanks for that
> - I’ll check to see if it is in a local library.
>
> I’ve done a variety of Google searches for Columbia record 50006 and
> the only 10-inch version that I find, is on a list created by some French
> music lovers.
>
> Not everything is on the internet.  Do you think that is why a variety of
> Google searches don’t find this 10-inch record by Frankie Laine ??

Even in the mid-50's, the sales of 78's had gone down so far that it was
almost surely non-profit. There were pockets of the population that
still lacked consistent electric service into the late 50's. Some were
intended for sale overseas I am sure. I am a Lou Breese collector and so
far, I have landed only one 78 of his 50's era Bally releases. It was a
Canadian Sparton.

--
Mark L. Bardenwerper, Sr.
Technology...responsibly, thoughtfully