[78-L] Happy Birthday

Jeff Sultanof jeffsultanof at gmail.com.invalid
Mon Nov 20 11:41:56 PST 2017

I've learned the hard way that very often, lists of studio singers were not
kept for a number of these sessions. My mentor was a group singer for
years, and his name very rarely shows up on session listings. The musicians
are listed because the labels had to file contracts with either Local 802
(New York) or Local 47 (Los Angeles). I remember when Phil Schaap called
Ray Ellis to find out the names of the singers on Billie Holiday's "Lady in
Satin" because Columbia did not have a listing of them. He lists a singer
named Lois Winters in the CD reissue, but I contacted him to tell him her
name was Lois Winter without the S. I knew many of the singers from the 50s
and 60s, and its a pity I didn't formally interview many of them, as they
had some wonderful stories!!

Jeff Sultanof