[78-L] glass record mystery

Kristjan Saag saag at telia.com.invalid
Mon Sep 5 13:47:56 PDT 2016

As noted, glass was used in the war years for lacquers because it was
cheaper than aluminium. And the cheapest way to produce glass is to use
recycled glass: from bottles and bulbs and broken glassware etc. Glass
separation, in the 1940's, wasn't what it is in these days; probably all
sorts of waste glass was used, so the end product wasn't transparent.
Kristjan

On 2016-09-05 07:02, Joe Salerno wrote:
> Recently I acquired a number of glass based records. Or I think they
> are glass. Some say they are glass. They are flat like glass. They
> weigh like glass, sound like glass when you tap them lightly with your
> fingernail, and looking at the edge of the center hole, I don't see
> anything that looks shiny like aluminum. Dates are 1944, which would
> be the right time frame for glass. But when I attempt to shine a
> bright flashlight or a red laser thru them, they are opaque, even in a
> very dark room at night. Is there some reason why a glass based disc
> would not pass light?

---