[78-L] Capitolians on MGM

Mark Bardenwerper citrogsa at charter.net.invalid
Fri Apr 15 17:47:09 PDT 2016

On 4/12/2016 7:46 PM, Mark Bardenwerper wrote:
> On 4/12/2016 8:23 AM, David Lennick wrote:
>> Those "MGM"s are all sourced from other Columbia product like Harmony and have the same numbering series as Paramount Publix and Special Record. But as far as I know they don't feature any actual Capitol Theater Orchestra, since the common one (Tip-Toe Thru the Tulips/Painting the Clouds with Sunshine, 1074-P) is a California Ramblers disc.
>> dl
>>

> There are two MGM's and a Publix on Eboy right now. The Publix disk is
> by the Paramounteers, A Year From Today/I'm Following You, which is
> supposedly the Georgians. I don't think so, though they did this song
> with Irving Koffman vocals. The record shows the vocals are by Brit
> violinist Phil Lewis, who died only a few year later, I believe. His
> bands attracted Americans, such as Ahola (not here, but as the Rhythm
> Maniacs) for a time.
>
> I find no matches for these sides in either Columbia of Harmony, though
> my search method is rather crude
>
> One MGM I mentioned uses recoupled Harmony Paul Specht sides. The other
> is credited to the Capitolians as well, 1080-P I Don't Want Your
> Kisses/Until The End. That one appears to match Columbia 1979D Fred Rich
> Orch. So I think I have an answer there. Blondy sure sounds like Busse.
> Marianne like Lanin.
>
> Whether they were sold in the lobbies or not, and whether they are
> directly from the movies, they seem to frequently cover songs found in
> their respective theater offerings. Is there any truth to this?

The Publix record, 2002-P,  both sides are credited to the
Paramounteers, but A Year From Today has a matrix of 148980, which is
the Georgians. The flip, 149495 I'm Following You, is Sam Lanin. This
same coupling is on Supertone 2002-P. A Year From Today is also Harmony
1010, I'm Following You is on Harmony 1065.

--
Mark L. Bardenwerper, Sr.

Technology...thoughtfully, responsibly.

Visit me at http://citroen.cappyfabrics.com