[78-L] Lousy on 78s- great as reissue

Ron ron at roscotron.com.invalid
Tue Apr 12 07:01:45 PDT 2016

Could someone please help out a neophyte here?
When you say "whole 78 length takes to 33 1/3 transcription disk" does this
mean that a 16" lacquer was used record just 4 1/2 minutes to be then
transferred to a 78 master, or were individual tracks recorded on the
lacquer, each long enough to fit on one 78" side?

Also, why do the 78's sound dismal but the LP's sound full and modern if
they both came from the same lacquer source?  Equalization?

I find this discussion very interesting, having been brought up on late 78's
and early mono LP's, many of which were transferred to LP from 78's on such
labels as RCA's Camden label and Columbia's Entre label.  I think I have
both the Columbia78 album of Frederick Stock's Chicago Symphony recording of
Enesco's Roumanian Rhapsody #1 [a favorite when I was 4!] as well as the
Columbia Entre transfer of that same recording.  Would anyone know the
actual source of the original recording?  I'll have to listen to both of
these now in light of this discussion!

Thanks,
Ron Roscoe