[78-L] Lousy on 78s- great as reissue

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca.invalid
Tue Apr 12 07:12:20 PDT 2016

In my opinion, both (first question). I think alternate takes were recorded on the same 16" disc because in transferring some sets I found notable differences between sides, with some distinctly lacking in highs. The recordings were made on 16" discs and dubbed to 78RPM using different equalizations at different times and some may have been dubbed from second generation copies of the 16" discs. Whether this was done for convenience or Columbia really anticipated the development of a long playing record in 1940 .. you be the judge. Dubbing meant cleaner source material for when the stampers wore out, which probably happened faster with the lamination process. Other companies also recorded their originals at 33 and dubbed to 78..Decca began doing it in 1943, Capitol maybe around the same time, smaller labels like Asch and the Joe Davis labels (you'll find 3 different transfers of the same recording on Beacon, Gennett and Davis) and Varsity (2 different transfers exist of She Had to Go and Lose It at the Astor).

Our copy of Stock's Rumanian Rhapsody had 3 sides that were dubbed at different times, each with a different EQ.

dl