[78-L] Capitolians on MGM

Mark Bardenwerper citrogsa at charter.net.invalid
Tue Apr 12 17:46:37 PDT 2016

On 4/12/2016 8:23 AM, David Lennick wrote:
> Those "MGM"s are all sourced from other Columbia product like Harmony and have the same numbering series as Paramount Publix and Special Record. But as far as I know they don't feature any actual Capitol Theater Orchestra, since the common one (Tip-Toe Thru the Tulips/Painting the Clouds with Sunshine, 1074-P) is a California Ramblers disc.
> dl

There are two MGM's and a Publix on Eboy right now. The Publix disk is
by the Paramounteers, A Year From Today/I'm Following You, which is
supposedly the Georgians. I don't think so, though they did this song
with Irving Koffman vocals. The record shows the vocals are by Brit
violinist Phil Lewis, who died only a few year later, I believe. His
bands attracted Americans, such as Ahola (not here, but as the Rhythm
Maniacs) for a time.

I find no matches for these sides in either Columbia of Harmony, though
my search method is rather crude

One MGM I mentioned uses recoupled Harmony Paul Specht sides. The other
is credited to the Capitolians as well, 1080-P I Don't Want Your
Kisses/Until The End. That one appears to match Columbia 1979D Fred Rich
Orch. So I think I have an answer there. Blondy sure sounds like Busse.
Marianne like Lanin.

Whether they were sold in the lobbies or not, and whether they are
directly from the movies, they seem to frequently cover songs found in
their respective theater offerings. Is there any truth to this?

--
Mark L. Bardenwerper, Sr.

Technology...thoughtfully, responsibly.

Visit me at http://citroen.cappyfabrics.com