[78-L] California Ramblers Edison mystery

Rodger Holtin rjh334578 at gmail.com.invalid
Tue Feb 23 18:33:09 PST 2016

I really appreciate all you guys jumping in on this one.  Sure learned a
lot.

I thought I had heard/read that Edison usually deliberately issued all three
takes, possibly so stampers would not wear out.  In spite of how uncommon
Edison jazz records are, looks like they all got issued for this one - and
turned up in the hands of collectors who could/would share them - and
possibly a fourth, depending on the source of the Biograph.  I admit I can't
tell.

We learned that the California Ramblers really were a polished, precise
performance group and that it is more than possible, indeed likely, that
some of the hot jazz soloists polished their solos from time to time.

We learned that Sweet Man was more than a one-of tune for the California
Ramblers since it turned up on more labels other than Edison.  (I was going
by Rust's 1972 list of California Ramblers/Golden Gate.)  I had seen those
other band names listed in Abrams, but I'm not up on my Kirkeby-Lanin-Mills
house names like some of you guys are.  And I'd love to hear all those, too!

And, finally, I suppose, I learned that they could turn out first rate jazz
even without big names like Nichols and Dorsey, who apparently had vacated
before this was cut.  This record remains a favorite, and maybe moved up a
few points as a result of intense listening.

Rodger

For best results use Victor Needles