[78-L] Longest wait? Slightly O/T

Ray Kilcoyne kil at roadrunner.com.invalid
Tue Jun 23 14:56:51 PDT 2015

I heard Ray Anthony's version of IDAHO while in high school in 1951.  It
seems it was never issued on 33, only 78 and 45, and I was never able to get
a copy of it until it made it onto CD (not a Capitol CD either), in about
1999.  I never did get it on disc.  So about 48 years.  You have me beat,
Julian.
RayK

From: Julian Vein
What's the longest anyone has waited between hearing a piece of music
once and obtaining it on disc? In 1956 I heard Tony Scott's "Aeolian
Drinking Song" on RCA-Victor, which had very limited reissue (hasn't
been touched by the usual boys--Lone Hill, Fresh Sound, Jazz Factory
etc), mainly on CD in Japan. That's 59 years! A few days ago I managed
to get a Japanese CD reissue (not those listed in Lord 10.0), and it was
worth the wait! It's a kind of "free-form" performance, with great Bill
Evans on piano (before he became "precious", and God's gift to jazz piano).