[78-L] Older musicians

Rodger Holtin rjh334578 at gmail.com.invalid
Fri Apr 3 17:41:14 PDT 2015

The biggest changes of which I have heard musicians speak have been issues
of stamina; stuff like breath capacity, aching backs and feet from the time
required on their feet to sing whole operas and the like.  I think Julian's
speculation about singers not changing the key is probably the opposite of
the situation.  Oddly enough, just in the last few days I've read a number
of accounts of both Caruso and McCormack adjusting keys downward to avoid
the high notes they lost with their youth.  I know at least one bass
vocalist who has lost much of the lowest range as well as some off the top.
Instrumentalists would scarcely have to lower or raise keys to adjust for
flagging physical prowess, with the possible exception of high notes on some
wind instruments that would require a full measure of strength and ability
to hit the target on pitch.

Loss of hearing is surely a big ticket item as well, and that comes in
various forms too.  My beloved high school choral director had been a
concert tenor and toured as such after WWII (made two 78s - getting us
solidly on-topic) and sometime in his late fifties he lost tone recognition.
He could still hear to carry on conversations, but could not recognize music
(melodies), much less sing it!  I could not grasp that problem at all when
it happened to him, but now have an inkling of what that must feel like.

While I am not aware of any changes like holding the bow differently, I must
say that could be an element for somebody.  I played upright bass off and on
"until the accident" (broke my wrist and it was set wrong) and now there's
simply no plucking the strings that isn't excruciatingly painful.  [Some
days clicking the mouse is just as bad, and never know if I'll get a double
click or not.]  I was "only" 47 when that happened.  I have attempted to
play with the bow a few times since then and it's a train wreck no matter
what I do, so I steer clear of bass fiddles now, just like old Giles steered
away from wine, women AND song.

I am sure others will weigh in and I, too, will be glad to catch the
experiences.  Good questions, Kristjan.

Rodger

For best results use Victor Needles