[78-L] Older musicians

Julian Vein julianvein at blueyonder.co.uk.invalid
Fri Apr 3 15:58:22 PDT 2015

On 03/04/15 22:23, Kristjan Saag wrote:
> This is halfway off-topic; still I think the 78 list is where to ask the
> question, because many of the artists we deal with have had long careers
> and many of us list members have genuine knowledge of making music, not
> only listening to it.
> So here's my question: do you know of any particular strategies for
> older musicians to compensate for playing/ singing techniques that are
> more difficult to use when getting older? I can think of singers who
> chose to omit certain high notes, others who find that their vibrato
> sounds more restrained and are more careful to use it, instrumentalists
> who choose alternative ways of holding the bow or playing a difficult
> passage on the piano etc. Any example would be appreciated.
> Kristjan

==========================
Kiristjan,
I had similar questions about instrumental technique. Are there any
writings about a person's physical attributes and instrumental ability?
The shape of a brass player's lips. The length of a trombonist's arms.
The size of a pianist's hands. Does a trombonist have to stand further
away from the music stand than other wind players, or do they stand to
one side? Should pianists and vibraphonists sit/stand erect or bend over
their instruments? Do pianists need to look at the keys? Should
clarinetists, trumpeters and trombonists hold their horns horizontally
or pointing down?

I assume a concert singer would be expected to sing as written, whereas
the rest could modify their approaches with age.

      Julian Vein

       Julian Vein