[78-L] ^cracked CD?

Rodger Holtin rjh334578 at gmail.com.invalid
Sun Feb 1 19:49:22 PST 2015

Anybody else ever successfully played a cracked CD?

Bought a used book with a CD in the glued-in sleeve in the back cover.  It
has a y-shaped crack in the inner ¾” of the foil and did not notice it when
I put it in the deck until I noticed it skipping a little on track three.
Tracks 5 and up play fine.  It finally played all through with a few skips
on 1-3.  Could not rip it at all, some, part or all, but was able to capture
most of it by playing it.

I mention this because a few weeks ago it was noted here that any CD with a
paper label more than ten years old is probably toast.  I checked mine, and
sure enough, all toast.  These were some I bought from the school, lectures
etc.  Our school library duped all their cassettes to CDs with paper labels
and tossed the cassettes.   This one had a foil label with library barcode
and scanner foil strip ID stickers pasted on with one large clear sticker
covering the whole disc.  I wonder if the large clear sticker helped give it
stability, or what may eventually happen with this one.  The library dated
it 06-08-2006 so it’s only about 9 years old.

The only track I really wanted, of course, was # 3, thus proving once again
the total universality of Murphy’s Law.

Rodger

For best results use Victor Needles