[78-L] ^cracked CD?

Mark Bardenwerper citrogsa at charter.net.invalid
Sun Feb 1 20:42:39 PST 2015

On 2/1/2015 9:49 PM, Rodger Holtin wrote:
> Anybody else ever successfully played a cracked CD?
>
> Bought a used book with a CD in the glued-in sleeve in the back cover.  It
> has a y-shaped crack in the inner ¾” of the foil and did not notice it when
> I put it in the deck until I noticed it skipping a little on track three.
> Tracks 5 and up play fine.  It finally played all through with a few skips
> on 1-3.  Could not rip it at all, some, part or all, but was able to capture
> most of it by playing it.
>

> I mention this because a few weeks ago it was noted here that any CD with a
> paper label more than ten years old is probably toast.  I checked mine, and
> sure enough, all toast.  These were some I bought from the school, lectures
> etc.  Our school library duped all their cassettes to CDs with paper labels
> and tossed the cassettes.   This one had a foil label with library barcode
> and scanner foil strip ID stickers pasted on with one large clear sticker
> covering the whole disc.  I wonder if the large clear sticker helped give it
> stability, or what may eventually happen with this one.  The library dated
> it 06-08-2006 so it’s only about 9 years old.

You might try doing a very low speed copy. Centrifugal force might be
aggravating the data loss or skips. When you do you copy, choose "Skip
errors." The good news is that it can be read at all. That means that
your home file is intact.

You might also try
https://www.gnu.org/software/ddrescue/ddrescue.html

--