[78-L] Vertical cut records

Malcolm Rockwell malcolm at 78data.com.invalid
Sun Jan 4 17:31:06 PST 2015

Hi Ken -
Yes and yes.
Doesn't your amp have a mono switch that sums both channels? That should
cut out a lot of the lateral component. The level will still be low but
you'll be able to boost it with no background noise. I've had good luck
with 2.7mil styli, even though the acoustic Pathe machines used a round
stylus at about 7 or 8 mils (at a 2 or 3 ounce tracking weight!).
The other way is to hardwire a stereo cart for mono play, or find a mono
cart with a mono needle.
Malcolm

*******