[78-L] Vertical cut records

Ken Matheson kenmath at yahoo.com.invalid
Sun Jan 4 17:23:57 PST 2015

I acquired 2 old 78s. They look very good, nice and shiny,
like they have not been played. One is a Pathe, No. 22227,
Yogiland, and Beautiful Ohio, by Royal Waikiki Hawaiians.
And Okeh No. 1159, JA-DA, and Can You Tame Wild
Wimmen?, by Billy Murray. The output level is way down
and there is more noise than their should be for records
in this condition. I am thinking these may be vertical cut,
but am not sure. Can anyone tell me if these are vertical
cut, and could the noise be from playing them on with a
lateral Cartridge.

Thanks
Ken