[78-L] Vertical cut records

Jeffrey Lichtman jeff at swazoo.com.invalid
Sun Jan 4 18:26:41 PST 2015

These are both vertical records. Summing the channels to mono will
eliminate the vertical component unless you invert one of the channels.
The effect on a vertically-cut record will be to cancel the signal and
keep the noise, which is the opposite of what you want. You can invert
one channel in a few different ways:

- Swap the cartridge wiring on one of the channels (on many cartridges,
swap the red and blue wires, which will invert the right channel).

- Use a turntable with a lateral/vertical switch.

- Use a pre-amp with a lateral/vertical switch.

You can also jumper the outputs of a stereo cartridge to make it produce
a mono output. Whether it works for lateral or vertical records depends
on how you connect the jumpers. For vertical records you would tie
together the positive outputs for both channels (typically white and
red), and the grounds for both channels (typically green and blue).

By the way, there are 78 cartridges that are pre-wired for mono
playback. None of these tricks will work with this type of cartridge.

--
                        -        Jeff Lichtman
                                 jeff at swazoo.com
                                 Check out Swazoo Koolak Photography