[78-L] The Virginians

david.diehl at hensteeth.com.invalid david.diehl at hensteeth.com.invalid
Thu Oct 30 22:30:07 PDT 2014

The demand for Whiteman records really overwhelmed Victor but they couldn't just turn the whole catalog over to him. The Victor A&R staff had been looking for something very like PW and they were eager to exploit it once they hit paydirt. They organized a number of house bands made up of Paul Whitebread musicians but each targeting a slightly different market segment. The Troubadours, The Serenaders, The Manhattan Merrymakers, The Virginians, Hugo Frey's Orchestra, and the Great White Way Orchestra were all basically the same outfit catering to diffrent slices of the Whiteman audience. I do not know how much influence Pops himself had on them at this early stage in his career but I would assume these were all tunes in what must have been an exploding book of arrangements.

Visit the Blue Pages: the Encyclopedic Guide to 78 RPM Party Records
http://www.hensteeth.com