[78-L] The Virginians

Rodger Holtin rjh334578 at gmail.com.invalid
Thu Oct 30 20:41:46 PDT 2014

The Virginians

What do we know about this band that made a batch of Victor records in the
early 1920s?

I didn't realize until looking through Rust's Jazz Records that the
personnel was reflective of the Whiteman band of the day, but these records
sound nothing like Whiteman records of the day.

Was this an acknowledged band-within-the-band kind of an arrangement like
Dorsey's Clambake Seven or something similar, or was the strictly studio
fodder and a chance to make a few bucks?

Do we know who suggested this band to Victor?  How hands-on was Whiteman
with this band?

Rodger

For best results use Victor Needles