[78-L] 78-L Songs about love - pre 1945

JD jackson1932 at cfl.rr.com.invalid
Sun Oct 5 13:44:26 PDT 2014

-----

> Message: 1
> Date: Sat, 4 Oct 2014 16:11:29 -0500
> From: rjh334578gmail <rjh334578 at gmail.com.invalid>
> Subject: [78-L] Songs about love - pre 1945
> To: 78-L Mail List <78-l at klickitat.78online.com>
>
> List time again...
>
> Academic request came in asking me to come up with a couple dozen
> tunes from the big band era of songs about love, in various facets of
> same, and be prepared to speak about a few of them.  (Handy that I can
> use this for a show playlist, too.)
>
> Love need not be in the title
> True, False, Unrequited etc
>
> As Time Goes By
> What is this Thing Called Love
> All of Me
> Til the End of Time
> Love for Sale
> Little White Lies
> Vagabond Lover
>
> Got some favorites ya wanna throw at me?
>

> Sent from my iPod - which explainz any bad typjng

> ------------------------------
  The big band era lasted quite some time past 1945 regardless of what some uninformed copy writers too young,  lazy or too stupid to do proper research would have os believe.   I should nknow, I was part of it. There  are still a few (very few) of us around.
  In 1950 the most popular bands still  drawing record crouds were Ray Anrhony, Ralph Flannagan, Ellington, Kenton and Woody Herman among others and of course, Harry James who never faded from the scene until his death in 1983. It's true that in the fifties the era was on increasingly shaky ground but there was still plenty of action and thousands of ballrooms out there. IFrom my perspective the era lasted from 1935 to1955 and a bit beyond. It eventually succumbed to TV, economics and an endless forthcoming of miscreants with guitars, most of whom understood little about music of any sort and its roots including therir own. The public ear was NEVER very sophoisticated, to say the least eventually responding to chaos  and mayhem over good taste.  I happily exclude the songs (not their playing)  of the Beatles and Elvis who, compared to what lay in the future sounds like Beethoven.  And so ends my tale.
  Jack Daney

  Here (sans research) are some titles  that should
  fit your query and remind of what's been lost.

  LOVE LETTERS
  BODY AND SOUL
  I SURRENDER, DEAR
  I LIKE THE LIKES OF YOU