[78-L] Recording Quality - a relative term

David Sanderson dwsanderson685 at roadrunner.com.invalid
Tue Jul 8 08:53:18 PDT 2014

On 7/7/2014 11:22 PM, David Lennick wrote:

> Interesting, because ARC was never highly regarded for technical quality. They
> sold a two dollar record and reluctantly began doing stereo well after the
> other labels, mostly because their customers weren't screaming for it and they
> were making their money pressing the 101 Strings and other D. L. Miller product
> for Canada. One time the cleaning lady unplugged the speakers and reconnected
> them in reverse (or something) and the rest of a session was recorded out of
> phase and issued that way. They were a huge country and folk label and did well
> with an accordionist named Harry Hibbs, Maritime music in general, and they
> released Anne Murray's first album.
>
> dl

Thanks; I knew someone could fill in the blanks. The LP in question is
ARC A599, "Hymns and Heart Songs", Jean Ward and Hal Lone Pine. I can't
find a date on the thing, but the liner notes say that Ward met Lone
Pine about 1960, hence my guess that it's 1962-65 vintage. So the
question would be whether this recording is after ARC began paying
attention, or before they stopped paying attention. The jacket shows
more of the 500 series of LPs, including several Lone Pine, a Slim
Clark, and a couple of Big Slim the Lone Cowboy.

--
David Sanderson
East Waterford Maine
dwsanderson685 at roadrunner.com