[78-L] Recording Quality - a relative term

David Lennick dlennick at sympatico.ca.invalid
Tue Jul 8 16:30:23 PDT 2014

On 7/8/2014 11:53 AM, David Sanderson wrote:

> On 7/7/2014 11:22 PM, David Lennick wrote:
>>
>> Interesting, because ARC was never highly regarded for technical quality. They
>> sold a two dollar record and reluctantly began doing stereo well after the
>> other labels, mostly because their customers weren't screaming for it and they
>> were making their money pressing the 101 Strings and other D. L. Miller product
>> for Canada. One time the cleaning lady unplugged the speakers and reconnected
>> them in reverse (or something) and the rest of a session was recorded out of
>> phase and issued that way. They were a huge country and folk label and did well
>> with an accordionist named Harry Hibbs, Maritime music in general, and they
>> released Anne Murray's first album.
>>
>> dl
>
> Thanks; I knew someone could fill in the blanks. The LP in question is
> ARC A599, "Hymns and Heart Songs", Jean Ward and Hal Lone Pine. I can't
> find a date on the thing, but the liner notes say that Ward met Lone
> Pine about 1960, hence my guess that it's 1962-65 vintage. So the
> question would be whether this recording is after ARC began paying
> attention, or before they stopped paying attention. The jacket shows
> more of the 500 series of LPs, including several Lone Pine, a Slim
> Clark, and a couple of Big Slim the Lone Cowboy.

Not being a fan of the stuff, I can't speak for recording quality on these
recordings. It's entirely possible that they paid more attention to a genre
they cared about. I generally found their recordings very thin. (The speaker
switch may have resulted in the piano suddenly moving across the room instead
of a phase reversal..the story was told to me by the artist involved, and it
was in 1967.)