[78-L] Great Singers "Era" (would be all eras)

Joe Scott joenscott at mail.com
Tue Apr 29 10:01:18 PDT 2014

Well, as far as instrumentalists go, once Woody Herman's clarinet playing was no longer modern enough to impress other jazz musicians (about 1947), you couldn't hold your head up in jazz and make anything the general public wanted to hear (successfully marketed anomalies such as Dave "I Have To Do With College" Brubeck aside). So if you were Frank Beecher, formerly with Goodman, you ended up playing with Bill Haley. If you were Lee Allen, who'd dreamed of soloing in Lunceford's band, you ended up playing with Little Richard.

The public didn't want to hear Benny Goodman just improvise through a whole record any more -- but never really had, either, had wanted him with Helen Forrest or Peggy Lee or the like, mostly. The public knew Jimmy Rushing as "Mr. Five By Five" much better than they knew Lester Young as "Pres." The Big Band or Swing Era was a singers' era.

Joseph Scott