[78-L] Info wanted GENERAL Records G-10 Belgian Congo Denis-Roosevelt Expedition

Peter Fraissinet pf13 at cornell.edu
Tue Apr 1 20:02:52 PDT 2014

Here is the OCLC record for this set (which incidentally also shows that 3 libraries own it, so it definitely was issued):

Title: Belgian Congo
Publication: [New York?] : General Records Co.,
Year: 1930s
Language: Niger-Kordofanian [Other]
Music Type: Dance forms; Songs
Standard No: Publisher: G-10; General Records Co.; 941; General Records Co.; 940; General Records Co.; 978; General Records Co.; 979; General Records Co.; 980; General Records Co.; 981; General Records Co.; 982; General Records Co.; 983; General Records Co.; 984; General Records Co.; 985; General Records Co.; 986; General Records Co.; 987; General Records Co.; LCCN: 2001-572981
Contents: Chansons manbelu -- Chansons babira -- Danse des Bapere -- Danse du Chef Karumi -- Xylophone -- Pygmees manbuti -- Danse des pygmees batwa -- Tambours royaux des Watuse -- Chant et danses bahutu -- Circumcision ritual.
Accession No: OCLC: 46859338

I agree that the Commodore album has the same contents (I have seen it).

I own the below version of the 78 album, missing one disc.  Here is the OCLC record for that set (which I believe was likely published in Belgium or France, not USA):

Title: Denis-Roosevelt African Expedition
Mission cinématographique Denis-Roosevelt.
Author(s): Denis, Armand.
Roosevelt, Leila.
Corp Author(s): Institut des parcs nationaux du Congo belge.
Conf Author(s): Denis-Roosevelt African Expedition  (1935-1936)
Publication: [United States?] : A. Denis Productions ; Bruxelles : Institut des parcs nationaux du Congo belge,
Year: 1940s
Language: Undetermined; Sung in various Congolese languages.
Music Type: Folk music
Standard No: Publisher: R-941; Armand Denis Productions; R-940; Armand Denis Productions; R-978; Armand Denis Productions; R-979; Armand Denis Productions; R-980; Armand Denis Productions; R-981; Armand Denis Productions; R-982; Armand Denis Productions; R-983; Armand Denis Productions; R-984; Armand Denis Productions; R-985; Armand Denis Productions; R-987; Armand Denis Productions; R-986; Armand Denis Productions; LCCN: 00-534695
Contents: Manbetu songs = Chansons manbetu -- Babira songs = Chansons babira -- Bapere dance = Danse des Bapéré -- Chief Karumi's dance = Danse du chef Karumi -- Xylophone = Xylophone -- Mambuti Pigmy music = Pygmées Mambuti -- Batwa Pigmy dances = Danse des Pygmées Batwa -- Royal Watusi drums = Tambours royaux des Watusi -- Pigmy orchestra = Orchestra [sic] pygmée -- Bahutu chant and dances : Chant et danses Bahutu -- Babira circumcision ritual = Rites de la circoncision chez les Babira -- Bapere circumcision ritual = Rites de la circoncision chez les Bapéré.
Note(s): A. Denis Productions: R-940 (matrix)/R-987 (matrix)./ Recordings made by the Denis-Roosevelt African Expedition of 1935-36, under the leadership of Armand Denis and Leila Roosevelt./ Program and ethnographic notes in English on shelf with discs.
Other Titles: Mission cinématographique Denis-Roosevelt; Title on container:; Dark rapture :; Belgian Congo records; Belgian Congo records; Title on accompanying notes:; The Belgian Congo records : primitive African music : stirring rhythms and unusual melodic tunes as played by the people of the Great Equatorial Forest; Primitive African music
Material Type: Musical recording (msr); 78 rpm (78s)
Document Type: Sound Recording
Accession No: OCLC: 45123434

Peter Fraissinet
West Danby NY