[78-L] A. Maggio interview about his "I Got The Blues" 1908

eugene hayhoe jazzme48912 at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 22 15:31:18 PDT 2014

1903 is the date that I've always seen given for Handy's encounter in Tutwiler:

http://www.msbluestrail.org/blues-trail-markers/w-c-handy

 Subject: Re: [78-L] A. Maggio interview about his "I Got The Blues" 1908
 To: "78-L Mail List" <78-l at klickitat.78online.com>
 Date: Saturday, March 22, 2014, 2:59 PM

 In 1955 Antonio Maggio was asked
 about his 1908 12-bar "I Got The Blues." He said he based it
 on a tune he heard a black guitarist playing in 1907; he
 asked the guy what the tune was called and he said "I Got
 The Blues." So almost exact parallel to Handy there, but
 earlier. He also remarked that the tune was a success for
 him (2000 copies sold quickly, and it was well-liked
 onstage) but he didn't pursue bluesy music further because
 it didn't interest him much.

 Joseph Scott