[78-L] A. Maggio interview about his "I Got The Blues" 1908

Joe Scott joenscott at mail.com
Sat Mar 22 11:59:20 PDT 2014

In 1955 Antonio Maggio was asked about his 1908 12-bar "I Got The Blues." He said he based it on a tune he heard a black guitarist playing in 1907; he asked the guy what the tune was called and he said "I Got The Blues." So almost exact parallel to Handy there, but earlier. He also remarked that the tune was a success for him (2000 copies sold quickly, and it was well-liked onstage) but he didn't pursue bluesy music further because it didn't interest him much.

Joseph Scott