[78-L] Cleaning lacquers was Re: Transcription info sought

Doug Pomeroy audiofixer at verizon.net
Mon Feb 10 13:01:21 PST 2014

Yes, the active ingredient in Windex is ammonia.
You should be able to get clear ammonia in any
supermarket, for a lot less than the cost of Windex!
You may want to dilute it with water 50/50 to start with.

For very severe cases, paint thinner is the most effective solution
(but I wear a vapor mask when using it), as it will dissolve the
fatty acid deposits in a matter of seconds.

The Disc Doctor's Miracle Cleaner is good (expensive) but not as
effective as ammonia or paint thinner, in my experience.

I apply the cleaning fluid with a paint edger, which allows application
without touching the labels.

The fatty acids are the result of the oxidization of the castor oil
(used as a plasticizer in the lacquer), which leeches out of it
over a period of years.

Doug Pomeroy
Audio Restoration and Mastering Services
193 Baltic St
Brooklyn, NY  11201-6173
(718) 855-2650
audiofixer at verizon.net