[78-L] Problem with very high energy incorporated into remastered 78s

DAVID BURNHAM burnhamd at rogers.com
Mon Feb 3 14:05:52 PST 2014

I can't imagine any kind of sound energy which is peculiar to 78s.  I would need to hear exactly what your problem is but ill-advised compression can sound ugly with any sound source.  There is a local classical music station here in Toronto which compresses to such a degree that loud portions of the performance are quieter than the softer portions.  One has to believe that nobody at the station is actually listening to the off-air signal.  Clipping distortion can also occur with any sound source if the recording level is too high.  Friend No. 2's Izotope RX 3 does have a peak unlimiter which can sometimes impressively remove clipped peaks so if that program improves the sound, that must be what you're hearing.

db

P.S. I'm sorry if this is appearing repeatedly by I keep getting informed that it couldn't be delivered