[78-L] 48-Hour Extension for Sound Recording Collections Survey

William Vanden Dries wrvandendries at gmail.com
Wed Nov 13 22:23:04 PST 2013

Hi Kristjan,

Thanks for asking about the Audio Preservation Fund.  It is a non-profit
organization that works in the shared space between individuals,
institutions, and other organizations with sound recording collections.  We
accept donations of recordings from all of the above communities, and then
try to place as many of the recordings as possible into the permanent
collections of libraries, archives, and museums.  We place the recordings
in these permanent collections through donation.

In full disclosure, we typically do not try to keep collections that are
donated to us together.  There are exceptions to this (which we haven't
experienced yet), but we usually allow the institutions to select which
individual recordings they would like to add to their collections.  The
first exception would be if we received a unique, archival collection.  In
this case, we would do all we could to find an institution willing to
acquisition the entire collection of archival materials.  The second
exception would be a collection of commercial releases, or a combination of
commercial and non-commercial releases, that, as a whole, offered more
educational or research value than if it were separated.  This would
ultimately be decided by the institutions to which we offer the collection,
so we could not make any guarantees that the collection would be kept
intact.  We would, however, do all we could to keep the materials together
as they find a new home.

We have accepted between 25 and 30 collections over the past four years.
 We are currently working through several recently donated collections,
trying to process them and donate recordings as quickly as possible so we
can accept new donations.  Even though we are not accepting donations at
this time, we encourage people to reach out to us if there is anything we
can do to help them plan for a future donation to us or an institution with
which we are in contact.

Running the Audio Preservation Fund is certainly one of the reasons I am
interested in the creation of a directory for sound recording collections
and their owners.  I am hopeful that such a resource will not only help us
make donations to institutions, and therefore increase the number of
collections we can accept, but also increase the potential for individuals,
institutions, and other organizations to work directly with one another.

I'm more than happy to field general questions about the Audio Preservation
Fund on the list.  If anyone would like to discuss a particular collection,
I would encourage them to email me at the organization's email address:
audiopreservationfund at gmail.com.

William R. Vanden Dries

MSIS Candidate, University of Texas at Austin School of Information
Chairman, Audio Preservation Fund
Graduate Research Assistant, Applied Research Laboratories
Student Technician, Harry Ransom Humanities Research Center