[78-L] War of the Worlds on LP

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Tue Oct 29 23:24:32 PDT 2013

I finally had a chance to check out my tape (7 1/2 IPS half track mono)
which I got a year before the Evolution LP set came out.  Not checking
very closely in the past, I had thought that it was the same transfer as
used on the LP.  It turns out that it was a different playing of the
same discs, and is no more than a second generation copy of the discs.
The overlap error of the first into the second disc is not on my tape.
It is perfectly done on mine.  The same is true of several other places
where lines or words are missing, such as the professor looking down at
his blackened hands, worn shoes and tattered clothing, and later looking
over the spires of his university buildings.  My tape is complete at
these points.  This is checked in comparison with the two sets of 78 RPM
discs.  The only thing missing from my tape is the first half sentence
at the start of disc side 3 at 30 minutes, right after the announcer
says "One moment, please." There was a lot of groove scratch and about
10 words were not transferred.  I can get them from other sources.

I should have checked this tape -- and digitized it -- years ago.  I
thought I had digitized it last year but do not find it on any CD or
hard drive. When I do it, and when I fix that start of side three and
use a cleaner version of the opening sentence from a 78 set, it will be
THE best version of WOW.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com