[78-L] table model Victrola, ca. 1919

Ron L'Herault lherault at bu.edu
Sat Aug 24 11:42:19 PDT 2013

The reproducer uses a pin in a groove to position it on the tone arm.  It
can be rotated a few degrees and pulled off.  Rotate it counter clockwise
and pull.   I bit of penetrating oil might be needed first.  Then it can be
sent out for a rebuild.   There should be a red rubber gasket around the
mica diaphragm and it should be soft rubber.  Most of the time by now they
are hard and cracked.  There is a rubber gasket at the back of the
reproducer that should be replaced and two springs holding the needle bar in
position.  Often one or both of them are broken.   There is also the
possibility that critters have built a nest or left things in the horn.  The
whole arm can be removed by undoing the screws at the base of the bracket
holding the tone arm on.  then you can inspect the horn and the tone arm.
Probably the closest one I know is George Vollema in Michigan.  He's
excellent and honest.

victrola at triton.net

I'm a bit further away in MA but could do the rebuild too.   And don't
forget to get a  new supply of steel needles.  They should be used once and
then disposed of.

Ron L