[78-L] table model Victrola, ca. 1919

David Breneman david_breneman at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 24 11:21:27 PDT 2013

 From: Sean Miller <smille1 at me.com>
ct: Re: [78-L] table model Victrola, ca. 1919

>T he reproducer likely needs rebuilding.  After 90 years, the gaskets dry out and
> playback will suffer for sure.  It may need a new diaphragm and flange as well.
> All of these things can be done easily and not very expensively at all.  Contact
> me off-list if you'd like for details and I'd be happy to rebuild and
> test the reproducer, your friend would have to just mail it to me.

I once ran into a guy on the old rec.antiques.radio+phono Usenet group
who advocated smearing reproducer diaphragms with silicone bathroom
caulk.  He said it "mellowed" the tone, and allowed you to play 40s
and 50s records without blasting.  This was just one of his helpful tips.
Another was that you could replace a missing turntable brake with a
sliding-bolt door latch from a hardware store. "They look almost
identical."  He had all sorts of similar recommendations.  I think he
advocated refinishing cabinets in Flecto Varathane, even if they didn't
need refinishing, because it "looks so much better."  Etc., etc., etc.
He was indignant when people told him his style of "restoration" was
vandalism and that he should get lost.

I say this only because the dull sound coming from this machine
might be the result one of his style of "enhancements."