[78-L] 16 2/3 RPM

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Mon Aug 5 17:16:19 PDT 2013

Vox did a series of 12-inch 16 2/3s of classical along with a few
popular discs like George Feyer Echos. All were re-issues. I have three
of them, and The Long Player catalog listed them in a separate section
for a year or so starting in 1958 not 1952.  They did one release and
that was it. There were commercial issues by a company called Talking
Books on 7-inch large hole discs of things like Alice In Wonderland and
The Bible.  They sold a little speed reducing attachment which I have.

Highway Hi-Fi was developed by Peter Goldmark in 1955 -- his one real
achievement -- and used 7-inch standard hole discs with grooving that
was finer than even the Edison Long Play -- 550 threads per inch.

I question Lenneck's contention that there are some 16 speed discs in
the Program Transcription discography in the ARSC Journal.  Point them
out to me.  RCA never made a player for that speed.  Also, regarding the
Gates turntable Sammy's friend saw.  Gates never made a turntable with
16 speed, but radio stations have been known to do some rather stupid
labeling and/or modifications to equipment.  He might have been confused
by a label that might have said 16 transcriptions, which would have
refereed to the size, not the speed.  It could have been made in an
pre-LP era where the only 33s a station would come across would be ETs.
Or else this dumb station might have modified their cutters to have a 16
speed and they themselves made low fidelity ETs.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com