[78-L] Labels

J. E. Knox rojoknox at metroeast.org
Sat Jul 13 18:09:32 PDT 2013

Greetings from FixitLand!

Dan Van Landingham wrote:

> ...I've seen South American Victors on ebay from the late '30s-early '40s that were on ebay that used the 1926-37 "scroll" pattern.I believe they were of Bob Zurke and his Delta Rhythm Band from 1939-40(Argentinian origin).

Yep...Argentine Victor, in particular, used the Scroll label until 1940 (or very early 1941) then changed to one similar to the US Rings label. Looking right now at a scan (probably snagged off the Dock-o'-the-'Bay) of Argentine Victor 26796-B "Espada De Fuego" (The Flaming Sword) by "Duke Ellington y su Famosa Orquesta." It's a Scroll Swing Classic (though has no personnel listing).

Take care,

—
J. E. Knox "The Victor Freak"