[78-L] Labels

Dan Van Landingham danvanlandingham at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 13 14:26:20 PDT 2013

In 1965 I was given two 78s from the set which were on Victor:they dated from around 1945.The way I could tell was by what I call "purfling" around the edge of the label;on the 1938-42 Victors and Bluebirds,the bands-or purfling-were spaced closed together and on the 1945-54 Victor/RCA Victor 78s,they were wider apart.The ink was gold on the '38-'41s,
which I referred to as a "yellow gold ink",the '42-'49s used a "white gold" ink and the '50-'54s used silver with a flat black background whereas the previous Victors used gloss black.
I use that word purfling because the two bands around the label reminded me of the purfling on my violin and viola.