[78-L] Software for cataloging AND listening to record collections ??

Mark Bardenwerper citrogsa at charter.net
Fri Jul 5 20:23:28 PDT 2013

On 7/5/2013 7:01 PM, Doug Caldwell wrote:
> I posted this on TONY with not a single response. Maybe its an odd topic. Ihought I'd give it a shot here.
>

> I've been using iTunes basically as an audible database for many years. I
> have detailed discographies on Excel, but for listening, the audio files are organized in Playlists in iTunes with info on each tune:  artist, date, issue #, mx, comments etc. It is very helpful and satisfying, but iTunes
> seems only half-meant for this function, and I get nervous about glitches - especially when asked to  upgraded versions  or when it comes to moving files.
>
> Anyone have suggestions for (playable) cataloging software.
>
> I did experiment with adding links in Excel so each entry could be heard. It
> worked, but was very time consuming.
>
> Doug Caldwell

Two concerns about archiving. First, you will have to  weigh file size
and sound quality. Second, saving on your own hard drive is plenty safe
as long as you don't delete the actual files. Removing things from the
playlist does not mean you are deleting the file unless you tell it to.
If you are nervous about your files, just back them up.
One annoying thing about these players is their dependence upon online
activity and their add ons, which hog computer power. Here are ways to
turn some of them off.
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/23480/10-tips-to-make-itunes-for-windows-run-faster/

Other than that, you needn't worry. MP3's are going to be around for a
while. The nice thing about listening to old records is you don't get
too uptight about high fidelity once the sound is lifted from the
record. Still it's better to use high resolution files.

--
Mark L. Bardenwerper, Sr.

Technology...thoughtfully, responsibly.

Visit me at http://citroen.cappyfabrics.com