[78-L] Software for cataloging AND listening to record collections ??

Rodger Holtin rjh334578 at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 5 23:15:24 PDT 2013

Good advice on iTunes.  I had all that crap turned off and had to have my machine worked on when I lost a heat sink, and the techie reloaded iTunes for me and I had to go back through all that again.  I think I covered everything that article listed just by being selective about the stuff when I loaded up front.  I now have retro experience, too.  There's no 'cover art' for files I made for myself from 78s unless I have a label scan, and that just takes more time than I want to spend.  The prepackaged playlists and rating stars are for kids and tyros, says I.  A one-star tune ain't gonna make it to a playlist!
Usually I use Windows Media Player and I find it much easier to use than iTunes anyway, but the iTune thing will easily load stuff to my i-Pod for portability.  I hope to inherit another used mp3 player from one of my kids and do away with music on the i-Pod anyway.  It leaves a lot to be desired in terms of user-friendliness, at least that's my take on it.  The erstwhile mp3 player did all I wanted it to do and much easier, but like a faithful old hunting dog, he did of old age, too.  If dogs are seven-to-one, computers are about 12 to one - they age quickly.
I create playlists in Excel from file names of mp3 or wave so I can use sort feature of Excel.  I open a second window for Media Player, drag and drop the files into Media Player then save the playlist as M3U file, which is then stored separately in the my documents but is readable by either iTunes or Media Player.  I create the playlists for my radio show that way and it works great.

Rodger

For Best Results use Victor Needles.

.