[78-L] Packing Horrors

Cary Ginell soundthink at live.com
Wed Jun 12 13:14:06 PDT 2013

I'm going through a horrific situation now myself. A customer in China purchased a multi-disc 78 set from me. I sent it to him, insured - but the post office convinced me to use one of their flat-rate boxes instead of the ones I usually use. I packed up the records and sent them out, as I usually do. Records were sandwiched between 10x10 60lb. corrugated cardboard - double layers rotated so the grain alternates, which strengthens the sandwich, then sunk with peanuts. The empty album was wrapped separately with bubble wrap and put in the same box.
Package arrives in China and the buyer says two of the three discs are broken. Demands a full refund. I call USPS to file a claim. They said to instruct the buyer to take the original packaging back to his post office to verify the damage and the insurance would be released to him.  He then files with PayPal to reverse his payment to me. I went round and round with PayPal, and they finally sent him an email instructing him to take the original contents to his post office as well. Instead, he ships the records and album back to me, wrapped in bubble wrap but with no box. The resolution center on the PayPal case shows that he made several calls to PayPal, but I don't know what they discussed. He provided a tracking number and PayPal said that as soon as the records can be verified as being returned to me, he'll get his money. But he neglected to put the carrier on his claim, only the tracking number.
I received the package yesterday but did not open it. I took it to my post office and the manager who could make the decision on the insurance is out until Monday. The original packing is probably long gone and there really is no way to prove that what the buyer sent me is what I sent to him originally. If PayPal reimburses him, I will have my bank challenge this and they will put the money back in my account. But for how long? And what if the post office says that I'm out of luck because of the buyer's inability to do as he was instructed?
I'm about ready to make my auctions domestic only.
Cary Ginell