[78-L] Sunny Clapp?

Jeff Sultanof jeffsultanof at gmail.com
Sat Jun 1 05:45:08 PDT 2013

Taylor,

I sympathize. As you know, I have been editing and restoring vintage big
band music for many years, taken from original sources (handwritten scores
and parts, most one of a kind). I constantly get arguments from those who
newly transcribe this music from recordings even though the original music
the musicians played is available; they claim that in many cases the
musicians didn't necessarily play what is on the parts, which is nonsense
in most cases. They also want to publish the exact bass lines as played on
the commercial recording (even though the parts only have chord changes),
and want the players to play the originally improvised solos exactly. This
is one of the reasons why many people don't go to concerts where this music
is played. I'm not talking about "In the Mood" or "A String of Pearls"
here, I'm talking about classic Ellington.

Jeff Sultanof