[78-L] Sunny Clapp?

Taylor Bowie bowiebks at isomedia.com
Fri May 31 21:02:04 PDT 2013

Not sure why but recently I've been lectured to by a lot of people on line
about 78rpm records,   who must have their own unique set of reference books
and maybe ears.

Someone elsewhere this evening told me that the trombonist on the "Jimmy
McHugh's Bostonians" Harmonys is Sonny Clapp.   Silly me...I always thought
it sounded like Jack Teagarden...esp. as the first place I heard them was on
a Jack Teagarden LP.

A while ago I was given a good dressing-down by somebody for
"misidentifying" the clarinet and baritone on the Ted Lews record of Glad
Rag Doll as by Don Murray,  when it was "obvious" that it was Benny Goodman.

Someone else the other day told me that Russ Case is "featured" on trumpet
on a lot of Hal Kemp records of the 1934-37 period.  I've looked in vain for
anything which doesn't sound like Earl Geiger and found one 8-bar open horn
thing on one record.  I asked the person for other examples...no reply.

I just can't help but wonder where some people come up with this
stuff...it's like anybody's "opinion" or "feeling" about something is just
as valid as actual research or comparison listening...

:-O