[78-L] Treemonisha

Thomas Stern sternth at attglobal.net
Thu Apr 4 13:02:27 PDT 2013

Hi David,
  Certainly possible that I'm conflating the two, but I see a listing for a 1972 LP of
a concert at the New York Public Library, and apparently issued by NYPL with the help
of Nonesuch:

An Evening with Scott Joplin    NEW YORK PUBLIC LIBRARY SJ
William Bolcom
 Maple leaf rag (3:09) --
 Solace : a Mexican serenade (6:14) --
 The ragtime dance (4:25) --
Mary Lou Williams
 Elite syncopations (3:01) --
 Pleasant moments (3:17) --
 Pine apple rag (4:16) --
Joshua Rifkin
 Bethena : a concert waltz (5:10) --
 Magnetic rag (5:19) --
Joshua Rifkin, piano ; Barbara Christopher, soprano, Clamma Dale, mezzo-soprano, Michael Gordon, baritone, Dennis Moorman, piano,
and chorus, conducted by John Motley.
 Excerpts from Treemonisha.
 The corn-huskers/We're goin' around (3:24) ;
 Good advice (4:56) ;
 A real slow drag (5:50) ;
 We're goin' around : (encore) (3:29).

My (as usual vague) recollection is that there was a lot of hoopla and anticipation of
the record.

Anyone know if the TREEMONISHA excerpts in the NYPL disk are simply old known selections, or from the
rediscovered piano score?

I'd also like to see a scan of the jacket - might jog the memory.....

Best wishes, Thomas.