[78-L] record distributors/retailers

Michael Biel mbiel at mbiel.com
Sat Mar 16 00:07:17 PDT 2013

Label exclusive franchises died out by the late 1920s. The only
exceptions were special labels made for specific stores such as Romeo
W.T. Grants, Diva for Daviga, Challenger and Silvertone for Sears,
Montgomery Ward for, uh, guess who, and one of the budget RCA labels for
Woolworths I believe.  But none of those are RECORD STORES, and ev3en
these died out by 1935-36.  I can see from the newspaper ads in the
early 30s that RECORD STORES carried all labels that they wanted to.
There was a wonderful thread about NYC record stores over on ARSCList
earlier this week, including some neighborhood ethnic stores.  It's a
topic I've been wanting to write about, but we might discuss it at the
collector's session at ARSC in May and try to arrange a formal session
for the following year at the national and also local NYC ARSC.

As for the changover years from the 78 to LP, if you look thru the
earliest Schwann catalogs you will be amazed at how few labels produced
LPs in 1949 and 1950.  There were some small short-lived labels that
entered and left the field in 1950-52.  These catalogs are fascinating.
This might have been part of the story in that posting you are referring
to.  Can someone link it to us, or can the writer come out and give the
details?  I'd love to know the details.

Mike Biel  mbiel at mbiel.com