[78-L] [78-C] Specially Made for J. A. Hultman

Mark Bardenwerper citrogsa at charter.net
Sat Mar 9 15:55:47 PST 2013

On 3/9/2013 3:33 PM, Mark Bardenwerper wrote:

> I just came upon a small pile of Pathes, which seem to be common around
> here. They are all in excellent condition. I have to catalog them yet.
> They are mostly religious.
> Sleep, Baby Sleep/The Stolling Yodler, Matt Keefe 22151
> Birds At The Brook/The Song Bird Are Singing Of You, Joe Belmont 10011
> Rock Of Ages/Abide With Me, Shannon Four/Earle F. Wilde 22190
> Still, Still With Thee/The Vally Of Peace, Chautaqua Preacher's Quartet
> 20325
> Lead Me, Savior/I'm Praying For You, Earl F. Wilde 22133
> Carry Me Back To Old Virginia/A Perfect Day, Campbell& Burr/Harry
> McClaskey 29124
>
> I also found an ethnic record, a Columbia Gramophone that has a dark
> blue label which has in cursive, "Personal Record Specially Made for J.
> A. Hultman. One side is "Den Sista Av Jordens Dagar", 91334 and the
> other is "Jag Har Ett Hem Sa Skont, 91335. I do not see this coupling in
> the book, Ethnic Music on Records, Vol. 5 by Richard K. Spottswood.
>
> Anyone into these?

A bit of research has revealed that J. A. Hultman was a Swedish
evangelist/hymnist from the first part of the 20th century. Here is his
story
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johannes_Alfred_Hultman
The fold up organ (no doubt a reed organ) he used for touring is
preserved in Chicago at the North Park College and Center for
Scandinavian Studies
http://www.nordicway.com/tour/?p=tour/view&id=317

There evidently are quite a number of records on Columbia, Beka Spezial
and Clariton
http://yufind.library.yale.edu/yufind/Record/8062636

--
Mark L. Bardenwerper, Sr.