[78-L] Amazing Collection of 78s

Matthew Duncan recordgeek334578 at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 27 01:31:51 PST 2013

There's every chance you'll end up with them....this happened to me a couple of years back...a guy 10 miles or so from me inherited a couple of boxes of 78s from his father and held on to them for a bit then decided to put them on ebay starting them with low start prices.

He didn't know anything about them and I won some and went to collect them (he didn't know how to pack 78s either needless to say).

I asked about the others and he said he wanted to put them on ebay as he knew he would get the best price.  There were around 200 records.  Some Bing Crosbys and common Carusos but mostly very nice early single sided stuff and a few rarer jazz/dance items too.

I continued bidding and a few months down the line he messaged me asking if I wanted to buy the rest.  Most of what was left by the end was rubbish but all in all I got everything I wanted apart from one disc (that sold to someone else on ebay) and paid far less than I would have done if he had allowed me to make an offer in the first place...

This could happen here too - especially if there are a lot of records - he will likely get bored sooner!  I know it's a different scenario but you can hope, can't you....

Matt in the UK