[78-L] How to keep 78s warm in a cold snap

David Weiner djwein at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 23 19:32:59 PST 2013

Think I've told this story before, but what the heck. Back in the late
70s, I subbed as host for Rich Conaty's BIG BROADCAST show at Fordham U
several times; one especially cold winter night, I had already done a
three-hour radio show at Hofstra U and then drove up to the Bronx for
another three hour program, with the discs sitting in the trunk of my car
all afternoon and evening. When I got to the Conaty show, one of the first
records I pulled was a super-thin Dynaflex Paul Whiteman LP from the RCA
Vintage series. To my horror, when that cold platter hit the warm
turntable mat, it immediately and completely folded up like a tulip! After
a few seconds, thankfully, it began to slowly return to normal and settled
down flat. Wonder what the scientific explanation for that is?

Dave Weiner