[78-L] How to keep 78s warm in a cold snap

L78rpm at aol.com L78rpm at aol.com
Wed Jan 23 19:22:00 PST 2013

Hundreds of discs in my "secondary" collection, accumulating and stored in
my finished basement for years, are now in my unheated garage.  The
reason:  Sandy the Storm left seven feet of water in my basement, rising to
within three inches of my living quarters.  Everything there was destroyed;  but
during the necessary cleanout/cleanup I did manage to get most but not all
of the 78s out and into the garage.  (The discs I consider important are
elsewhere.)

I decidedv that the best thing to do was to get them out of their wet
sleeves and albums and dry them off.  (The wet paper holding them went out  to
the curb.)   I did manage to do this.  My understanding is  that dry 78s can
withstand cold as long as they are not exposed to  moisture.  They will be
there all winter.

In the spring I will determine whether I am correct.

Paul Charosh

In a message dated 1/23/2013 5:57:42 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,