[78-L] Waveforms

Wes Wes at lvcott.fsnet.co.uk
Sat Jan 19 08:27:15 PST 2013

I'm on digest of the list, so can't respond quickly. But now the flames have
died down:-

Joe: I hope the mains hum example helped to answer your question simply
enough. If it did, you need to extend that to think a little about the large
number of frequency components that make up the timbre of a sound, both
above and below the dominant frequency, and appreciate that they are going
to change the shape (and pos and neg amplitudes) of the dominant frequency
waveform you are seeing. DC offset problems would be very rare in the
situation you describe.

Julian Vein: Joe asked this question to the tecchie list members. Aside from
the overheated argument, is there any reason why he shouldn't be answered
here?

Graeme Jaye: The discussion here is usually about some form of record
history, so there are going to be folks with no interest.

And in case you're wondering - I've had audio as a hobby for around 50
years. I qualified with a degree in Electrical and Electronic Engineering
almost 40 years ago, and spent the rest of my working life designing signal
processing hardware and software at almost all frequencies.

Back to lurking :)   ... wes Williams
Website: www.concertinas.org.uk