[78-L] Willie Howard on Gala, was Re: Gala: different label styles, is it the same company?

Philip Fukuda 78rpm at sbcglobal.net
Sat Nov 17 22:08:23 PST 2012

Here is the information of the circa 1942 Willie Howard Gala album. It was Gala album 1 entitled "Willie Howard in an album of Comedy and Songs." Sides are:

1000A: French Taught in a Hurry, part 1 (115A)
1000B: French Taught in a Hurry, part 2 (116-1B)

1001A: Tyrone Shapiro (119-1A)
1001B: Moscow Art Players (117A)

1002A: Comes the Revolution! (118-2A)
1002B: Jessel, Jolson and Cantor (imitations) (120B)

By the way, Belle Baker is on Gala album 3.

Philip

> Message: 5
> Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2012 22:43:20 -0500
> From: David Lennick <dlennick at sympatico.ca>
> Subject: Re: [78-L] Gala: different label styles, is it the
> same
>     company?
> To: 78-L Mail List <78-l at klickitat.78online.com>
>
> On 11/15/2012 10:23 PM, David Lewis wrote:
> >
> > All of the Dwight Fiske Galas, as far as I've been able
> to tell, were sourced from Fiskana records of the early
> 1930s. Oddly, the originalsdon't sound a great deal better
> than the Gala dubs in a lot of cases. Greg Fernandez has a
> 10" Dwight Fiske LP on Gala. This was certainly minted by
> Jubilee, showing that they used the Gala name afterthey
> acquired the company, at least for a time.
> >
> > Uncle Dave Lewis
> > uncledavelewis at hotmail.com
>

> A lot of Fiskanas were dubbed onto Gala and have the same
> numbers (i.e. "099"
> is derived from Fiskana 36099) but there were a lot of newer
> recordings on Gala
> as well as remakes of the older titles. I have two Fiske
> lps..Gala 100, which
> might be a Jubilee product and which lists 3 other albums on
> the back cover as
> well as 4 by Charley Drew, 2 by Nan Blakstone and one by
> Willie Howard (not one
> of which I've ever run across in my life), and Monarch 206
> which is likely new
> material.

(snipped Dwight Fiske discography)